General information for Studying Abroad
Studying abroad offers a high "return on investment" and this applies not only to your future career perspectives. Studying abroad lets you experience other life styles and gives you an opportunity to view your own country from a different perspective. You will bring home a wealth of experience - both academic and personal.
Benefits of studying abroad:
- Foreign language skillls
- Understanding of different cultures & work ethics
- Self confidence & independence
- Communication skills
- Ability to deal with criticism of own country and culture
- General education & expert knowledge
- Improved organizational & cooperative abilities
Step 1: Decide where you want to go?
Step 2: Keep in mind the early application deadlines!
- The ideal time for a semester abroad is during your advanced or main course of study
- Begin your planning already during your foundation or basic courses
- keep in mind the early application deadlines (often 1 year or longer in advance of the start of your studies!)
- Be careful to allow yourself enough time for all the preparations: Experience shows that, in general, at least one year is required
Step 3: Thorough planning of the following aspects:
- When & for how long do you want to stay abroad?
- Are your language skills adequate?
(VKB offers language training courses at TUK during the semester)
- Are you prepared to devote additional time, energy & possibly your savings for the organization of a stay abroad?
(For scholarships & Auslands-BAföG please contact: foerderung[at]verw.uni-kl.de)
- Do you prefer to go individually, as a so called "free mover" or to participate in an exchange program sponsored by TU Kaiserslautern?
(The application process is more simple for the official exchange programs. You will need more self-initiative if individually organizing your stay. Both options can be discussed with the team of the Department of International Affairs: ISGS)
Step 4: Check out our information materials!
The key to successful stay abroad is careful preparation; and this in large measure, depends on your own initiative! Be careful to allow yourself enough time to make all the preparations: Experience shows that, in general, at least one year is required!
Studying Abroad - Documents
- Flyer Studium im Ausland (inkl. ERASMUS)
- Application Form for Foreign Applicants
- Motivation Letter Studying Abroad
Department of International Affairs: ISGS
Bldg. 47, Room 626
Phone: 0631 205 5252
Fax: +49 (0)631 205 3599
Hours of operation
10:00 - 12:00 (mo-fr)
14:00 - 16:00 (mi)
BAföG & Scholarships
Gebäude 47, Raum 502-526
Fon: 0631 205 3316/2055
Fax: 0631 205 4386