Biological Soil Crusts in Ecosystems -
their Diversity, Ecology, and Management
The workshop took place at Zellingen-Retzbach (near Würzburg), Germany, on
August 22 - 25, 2010
Pictures from the workshop can be found here!
The next workshop will be in 2013. It will be hosted by Fernando T. Maestre Gil and Leopoldo García Sancho in Miraflores de la Sierra, Madrid, Spain.
Since the first edition of the "soil crust bible" (Belnap and Lange 2001) a lot of research on biological soil crusts (BSC) was conducted covering various topics on a worldwide scale. We would like to trigger an exchange of ideas and results, and to discuss possible new theories/approaches with the international experts.
The following sessions are planned:
- Diversity, ecology and biogeography of soil crusts
- Mapping, monitoring and management of soil crusts
- Role of biological soil crusts in ecosystems
- Disturbance and restoration of biological soil crusts
- Interaction of BSC and vascular plant vegetation
- Free topics
See you at Zellingen-Retzbach!
Bettina Weber and Burkhard Büdel
For further information please refer to the following documents: