Registration and Enrolment of PhD Students
In Germany, the PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) is a rather high academic title. It is pursued after the successful completion of a Master’s degree (or an equivalent academic degree) at an internationally recognized university, and it is often considered to be a prerequisite for an academic career. The main focus of doctoral studies is placed on research, culminating in the writing of a PhD thesis.
In Germany, there are basically three different ways to obtain a doctoral degree:
- Earning a PhD through individual research and
- through structured PhD-Programs, or
- Graduate Schools or Research Centres
Enrolled at the University of Kaiserslautern, you can chose between several fields of research, linked to our departments.
In order to finance your PhD studies you have to be eligible or you have to apply for a program-related grant or other scholarships. You also have the opportunity to work as a research assistant for a university professor of a chair or institute.
To be noted:
All doctoral candidates must register at TU Kaiserslautern after being accepted as a doctoral candidate. Registration is possible at any time.
In addition to the registration, doctoral candidates can enrol at the TU Kaiserslautern at the beginning of the semester.
All doctoral candidates who are already accepted have to formally register as a PhD student at TU Kaiserslautern. REGISTRATION is possible all over the year. Therefore, please fill in the
completely and send it.
- Confirmation of acceptance as a doctoral candidate.
In addition, an ENROLMENT at the TU Kaiserslautern for all PhD students for the beginning of a semester also may be requested. PhD students may be enrolled for a maximum of six years. After this period, an extension of the enrolment as a PhD student is only possible once in exceptional cases.
For an enrolment, please fill in also the
completely and send it
till latest 20 October (for winter semester) or 20 April (for summer semester). The entrance at the TU Kaiserslautern is decisive! Unfortunately, applications for enrolment received after this deadline cannot be considered, so that enrolment is only possible in the following semester.
Please attach the following documents to the form of enrolment:
- Copy of your qualifying degree (if not already present)
- Special certificate verifying your health insurance (for enrolment at a university):
see Health Insurance pamphlet
- Confirmation of acceptance as a PhD student
- Possibly, de-registration certificate of the last visited university, except TU KL
Submission of applications
The documents must be submitted digitally.
What must be observed?
- Fill out, save and complete the application,
- submit the application by e-mail with all required documents,
- as one coherent scanned PDF document,
- with the designation "Lastname, Firstname_Ph.D"
- to the respective e-mail address:
for applicants with German educational qualifications or as a German to studsek-kl(at)verw.uni-kl.de,
for foreign applicants with foreign educational qualifications to admission(at)uni-kl.de.
Please refrain from submitting an additional application by post. We reserve the right to request certified documents/originals on a random basis.
Building 47, Room 109, Ground Floor
09.00 - 12.00 (morning)
09.00 am - 4.00 pm (Monday - Friday)
Phone: +49 631 205 5252
Fax: +49 631 205 5040