Registration and Enrolment of PhD Students


In Germany, the PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) is a rather high academic title. It is pursued after the successful completion of a Master’s degree (or an equivalent academic degree) at an internationally recognized university, and it is often considered to be a prerequisite for an academic career. The main focus of doctoral studies is placed on research, culminating in the writing of a PhD thesis.

In Germany, there are basically three different ways to obtain a doctoral degree:

Enrolled at the University of Kaiserslautern, you can chose between several fields of research, linked to our departments.

In order to finance your PhD studies you have to be eligible or you have to apply for a program-related grant or other scholarships. You also have the opportunity to work as a research assistant for a university professor of a chair or institute.



All doctoral candidates who are already accepted have to formally register as a PhD student at TU Kaiserslautern. REGISTRATION is possible all over the year. Therefore, please fill in the

(at your PC), print it and sign it on page 4.



In addition, an ENROLMENT at the TU Kaiserslautern for all PhD students for the beginning of a semester also may be requested. PhD students may be enrolled for a maximum of four years. After this period, an extension of the enrolment as a PhD student is only possible once in exceptional cases.

For an enrolment, please fill in also the

completely (at your PC), print it, sign it on page 4 and send it 


till latest 20 October (for winter semester) or 20 April (for summer semester). The entrance at the TU Kaiserslautern is decisive! Unfortunately, applications for enrolment received after this deadline cannot be considered, so that enrolment is only possible in the following semester.

Please attach the following documents to the form of enrolment:

  • Officially certified copy of your qualifying degree (if not already present)
  • Special certificate verifying your health insurance (for enrolment at a university):
    see Health Insurance pamphlet
  • Signed Appendix for enrolment of PhD students (Site 5)
  • Confirmation of acceptance as a PhD student
  • Possibly, de-registration certificate of the last visited university, except TU KL
  • Visa (residence permit) for foreign students (except european community) in certified copy



You can submit the completed form in person at the SSC or send it by post to the following address:

TU Kaiserslautern
Office of Student Affairs
67653 Kaiserslautern

(Unfortunately, a submission via E-mail is not possible)

Zum Seitenanfang