Admission requirements without an A-level qualification

Applicants without the A-level qualification to study at a university may, under some circumstances, still be eligible for admission to study at TU Kaiserslautern. Details are provided in Section 65, par 2 of the Higher Education Act of Rhineland Palatinate issued on November 19, 2010.

If you do not have an A-level certificate, you must meet the following prerequisites for enrollment at the university:

  • Graduation from a professional training programme with an overall grade point average of at least 2.5 on the final exams and a graduation certificate from a trade school.
  • Two-year professional or equivalent work experience following professional qualification training. Sole management of a household that includes at least one child or special needs person, experience as development aid worker or as a substitute for professional experience, completion of one-year voluntary social or environmental service.
  • The professional training must be sufficiently related in content to the desired course of study, in particular, it should convey knowledge and skills conducive to the successful study of the desired degree programme (i.e., a subject-related university entrance qualification).

An advanced professional qualification such as the "Master Craftsman" examination or an equivalent certificate is accepted as an immediate university entrance qualification to study any subject at the university level.

More information is provided in the  information pamphlet from the Ministry of Education, Science, Youth, and Cultural Affairs.

Documents required with your application:

  • Resume indicating all previous education and work experience
  • Graduation and discharge certificates from all general education and professional training schools attended along with certificates of completion and, if applicable, officially certified copies of any advanced professional qualifications, for example, master craftsman or similar examination
  • Full description of the type, duration, and location of any work experience or equivalent experience
  • Statement indicating that you have had course guidance counseling by the responsible faculty advisor at TU Kaiserslautern (to be submitted at registration or earlier).
Zum Seitenanfang