Required documents and their form

The question of which documents have to be enclosed depends on which degree programme you are applying for:

  • required documents

With your application via our application portal you can upload the required documents (for example university entrance qualification).

If you are applying for teacher training in the subject sports or Bachelor Sportwissenschaft + Gesundheit, you will need a certificate confirming that you have passed the sports aptitude test.

Please refrain from an additional submission by post. We reserve the right to request certified documents/originals on a random basis.

In addition to the above-mentioned documents when applying for open-enrolment degree programmes, the following documents are required for limited-enrolment degree programmes:

  • Certificate (if available) from the competent authority stating that you have completed military service, alternative service, development aid or a social year or that you will complete it by 30 April for the summer semester and 31 October for the respective winter semester at the latest.
  • Certificate (if available) from a doctor stating the period of time during which you have cared for a child under the age of 18 or a relative in need of care.

Please refrain from an additional submission by post. We reserve the right to request certified documents/originals on a random basis.

The following documents have to be attached to the application:

  • University certificates or corresponding certificates (e.g. university entrance examination, aptitude test, annual university examination, etc.) incl. grades
  • “Reifezeugnis” (school leaving certificate with grades for the individual examination subjects)
  • Certificate of knowledge of the German language
  • Proof of completed internships (if required for the chosen subject)
  • Additional requirements for applicants from China, Vietnam and India: Certificate of the Academic Evaluation Centre of the German Embassy

With the admission letter you'll receive more informations regarding your enrollment.

When applying for a Master's degree, we require, in addition to the above-mentioned documents, a certificate of completion of the first university degree or a preliminary overview of the subjects and grades, stating the total credit points based on ECTS [European Credit Transfer System].

Please refer to the homepage or the examination regulations  of the respective Master's programme for further information on application documents.

Applicants who have already been enrolled at another university must enclose the following certificates with their application in addition to the documents mentioned above:

  • Certificate of recognition by the responsible Examination Office of TUK (only for applicants of higher semesters) of the examinations taken so far.
  • De-registration certificate of the university attended so far or current matriculation certificate
  • Certificate of coursework and examinations (including failed coursework and examinations)
  • “Unbedenklichkeitsbescheinigung” (clearance certificate) of the university/universities attended so far

Applicants with a first degree

  • Online application for enrolment
  • Degree Certificates and Transcript of Records of the university degree, if applicable Diploma Supplement*
  • Confirmations, with detailed information on (relevant) professional work experience after the first degree

Applicants without a first degree (aptitude test necessary)

  • Application form for admission to aptitude test
  • A Letter of Motivation describing their educational goals and not exceeding a maximum of 3000 characters. The Letter of Motivation should include a detailed description of the applicant's previous development of expertise and should be supported by the associated documentation.
  • CV
  • Certificates about the highest school-leaving qualification or apprenticeship*
  • Confirmations, with detailed information, on (relevant) professional work experience
  • Projects / remits,
  • Documentation of exam results performed in the context of continuing education programmes

Overall for both groups

  • Electronic health insurance notification from your health insurance company, more information here

Possibly to submit:

  • Proof of completed examinations in (other) degree programmes*
  • Proof of award of further academic titles, e.g. doctoral degree certificate
  • Proof of name change (marriage certificate)
  • A sufficient proof of language proficiency in acc. to the examination regulations
  • In case of Recognition: Transcript of Records and Module Handbook

To be submitted for specific courses of study:

  • Tabular Curriculum Vitae (Software Engineering for embedded Systems)
  • Proof of English language proficiency (for English distance education programmes)
  • Statistics, if available (Psychology of developmental and learning disorders in children)
  • Module  description/manual  or  listing  of  mathematical  modules  during  the  course  of  study (Financial Engineering)

Find further information on our homepage or in the examination regulations of the respective study programme.


*We reserve the right to request certified documents/originals on a random basis.


Certified copies & Translations

Here's what you need to look for:

How do copies need to be certified? 

Officially certified copies must always contain the following:
1. the original official stamp and
2. the original signature of the certifying person

Sample of a certified copy

Officially certified copies consisting of multiple pages must clearly show that every page has been officially certified in the same process. This can be ensured in the following ways:

  • Using the official stamp: The official stamp must be visible on all pages. In order to achieve this, the person who certifies the copy attaches the pages to each other in a staggered arrangement and then stamps them with the official stamp. This results in every page carrying a part of the official stamp. With this method, the certification declaration and signature need to be applied to only one page.
  • Using a ribbon and an embossed seal: If a notary attests the copy using a ribbon and an embossed seal, the certification declaration and signature also need to be applied to only one page.


Where can I have my documents certified?

Certifications outside of Germany

Outside of Germany, the following institutions may carry out official certifications:

  • the issuing schools or universities,
  • the ministry of education in your country of origin,
  • German embassies and consulates,
  • the department of cultural affairs of the embassy of the country in which the certificate was issued,
  • public authorities and notaries which are authorised to supply official certifications in your country of origin.

Important: Translators are not authorised to certify documents in their original language.


Certifications in Germany

In ​​​​​​​Germany, any public institution ("öffentliche Stelle") which has an official stamp ("Dienstsiegel") is authorised to certify documents. This includes:

  • town halls / citizen centres,
  • "Ortsbürgermeister" (local mayors),
  • "Kreisverwaltungen" (local governments),
  • parish offices,
  • courts,
  • notaries.

Important: Translators are not authorised to certify documents in their original language.

Public institutions in Germany are allowed to certify documents in a foreign language, but are under no obligation to do so. If you cannot find a public institution in Germany that will certify your documents, please contact the embassy of your country of origin or a notary.

The following authorities are not allowed to provide certifications:
Charities, church institutions, public corporations, interpreters, health insurances, banks, savings banks (Sparkassen), clubs, students unions, military.
Schools, public study colleges or universities are only allowed to certify certifications, which they have issued.


How do I submit certified copies?

Your officially certified copies must be sent to uni-assist by post. Scans / uploads of certified documents are not sufficient. We also do not accept simple photocopies of officially certified copies.

Do not send in any originals! The storage and return of original documents can not be guaranteed.

Submit your certificates in their original language, accompanied by a translation in German or English. This also applies to the overview of subjects and grades.

If your country issues your certificates (additionally) in German or English, we do not need a Translation.

We accept translations of certificates from the following sources:

  • persons or institutions authorised to make translations under oath or admissible in court,
  • a department of the issuing school or university authorised to issue such translations.

We do not accept non-certified translations from standard translation agencies.


Certificates, which have been translated ABROAD can be certified with the „Beglaubigungsvermerk“ "Gesehen in der Botschaft (im Konsulat) der Bundesrepublik Deutschland zu Legalisation..." by the German embassy or consulate legalized by a notary with the „Haager Apostille“.

Certificates, which have been translated in GERMANY have to be translated and certified by a judicial certified translator. The seal of the translator has to include the inscription "Öffentlich bestellter und vereidigter Übersetzer". The seal also has to show for which language the translator is allowed to translate according to law. The address of the translator has to be included in the translated document.

Copies of translations also need to be certified. Translators may put their original stamp on copies of translations made by themselves. However, they may not certify documents in their original language.

Go to top