Prerequisites to studying without higher education entrance qualification

Applicants without a school leaving certificate which entitles them to study at a university may be admitted to study at TUK under certain conditions (Sec. 65 para. 2  Higher Education Act Rhineland-Palatinate).

The following admission requirements have to be fulfilled:

  • Completion of vocational training with an overall grade average of at least 2.5 on the basis of the final vocational training examination and the certificate from the vocational school
  • Two years of professional or comparable activity after completion of vocational training; The independent management of a household with at least one person in need of education or care, the activity as a development aid worker and the completion of a voluntary social or ecological year can be equivalent to the professional activity.
  • Vocational training must be sufficiently related to the content of the chosen course of study, in particular impart knowledge and skills that are conducive to studying the chosen course of study (i.e. subject-specific higher education entrance qualification).

With a further professional qualification through a completed master craftsman's examination or a comparable examination, you receive a direct higher education entrance qualification for studying all subjects at a university.

You can also find this information on the website  “Studieren ohne Abitur in Rheinland-Pfalz” [Studying without higher education entrance qualification] of the Ministry of Science, Continuing Education and Culture.

An application must be accompanied by the following documents:

  • Curriculum vitae with information on the previous training path and professional career,
  • leaving and final certificates of the general and vocational schools attended as well as certificates of vocational training and, if applicable, of further vocational qualification, e.g. master craftsman examination or comparable examination in an officially certified copy,
  • full evidence of the nature, duration and place of the professional activity or activity treated as such,
  • confirmation of student counselling provided by the responsible  departmental subject-specific student counselling at TUK
Zum Seitenanfang